Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I Don't Think Your Sax is Sexy

I’ve never thought of the saxophone as a sexy instrument, although it appears to be a very phallic instrument. I’m sure my Mom thinks it's sexy (ahem, Kenny G.), but the sound of a saxophone to me, even if “played well,” is a screechy brass wailing infant. Seriously, everytime I hear a saxophone interlude, all I’m hearing is “Waaaaaaaaah!!”

I think since the moment I heard this song, I immediately hated the saxamophone:




Although I think this song is epic/wonderful/full of George Michael having sex with a woman awkwardness/gay denial phase, the saxophone just makes me want to hurl.

No offence if you do play this instrument – from what I’ve heard, it does take skill, and playing any musical instrument should be commended (besides the recorder). I, however, immediately associate the sax with: the bad part of the 80s, my mother, cheese, fat old people dancing on cruise ships, and of course, screechy brass wailing infants.

So please tell me why Lady Gaga and Katy Perry are trying to bring the horrible saxophone solos of the 80s back?

In Gaga’s The Edge of Glory, and Perry’s Last Friday Night (TGIF), they have quite prominent sax solos. Katy Perry even goes so far as to have Kenny G. himself playing in her vid. Although I’m not sure if she uses him as a joke or not (the video has other cheesy cameos, such as Hanson), all I know is that I can’t see myself or anyone else rocking out to a sax solo at a club.

I’m sure jazz dudes with cool hats on street corners who play the sax can do it “justice,” but I’m never going to warm to it. That’s like making me like True Blood: I JUST CAN’T DO IT! So please, lend me your thoughts on the resurgence of the sax solo. I’m dying to hear your opinions. 

7 comments:

  1. When I got Gaga's album and listened to it the first time through, I had the same thought. "Why is she bringing back the bad-sax-solos from the 80s???"

    On the other hand, I dated a classical saxophonist once, and as a symphonic wind instrument it can be quite beautiful and impressive. My favorite way to use the sax, though, is in jazz. If you don't like the sax and want to open your mind a little to how great it can be, I suggest strolling through the French Quarter in New Orleans. Nothing like it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to go to New Orleans. Gahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 15 Best Primers For Dry Skin : 2021 [ Guide ]

    So, here in this article, we’re going to provide you the details about the 15 Best Primers for Dry Skin. Read about the best primers for dry skin and get the best one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HELLO,A very well informative blog space and detailed one. I would like to take an opportunity to share information about a leading SATTA MATKA RESULT WEBSITE. check out the fastest result of your favourite bazaars on the satta matka result website.
    https://dpboss.info/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Önemli giriş adreslerine buradan ulaşabilirsiniz.
    betturkey giriş
    betpark giriş
    İU1LE

    ReplyDelete